Monday, July 2, 2012

Andersen's Fairy Tales - 1920's

Andersen's Fairy Tales, or Andersen's and Other Fairy Tales as it says on the title page, is a fully illustrated children's book published by Whitman Publishing Co. in Racine, Wisconsin.  The illustrations don't have a printed credit on the title page, but the artist's name Elsie M. Kroll is visible in a few of the full page illustrations. There is no publication date on the inside, but some internet research is leading me to guess that it is from the 1920's.  

One thing that I thought was unusual about this book was that the pages have been printed on an almost brown toned paper.  The color clearly can't be attributed just to age, it must have been a design choice by the publisher.  I actually brightened the scans of the pages a bit so that the illustrations could show up better.  

Side note - I love the third image posted below that shows all of the little forest animals drawing, especially the little squirrel that is sitting on the window ledge while sketching.

I think it's almost time for me to re-organize my books so that the fairy tales collection gets its own shelf. 







No comments:

Post a Comment