Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ray Bradbury's S Is For Space - 1966


This book was another rescue from the same library discard pile as the one featured in the previous post.  This 1966 hardcover edition of Ray Bradbury's S is for Space, published by Doubleday, has the picture printed directly on to the canvas cover instead of having a paper slip cover.  There is no artist credited for the cover illustration, but it looks very similar to the style seen in the R is for Rocket cover shown in the last post.  I especially like the swirl of the galaxy behind the spaceman, and the colorful patterns on the suit that the person is wearing.

I flipped the book open while scanning the cover, and the first few lines of Bradbury's introduction made me smile.  

"Jules Verne was my father.
H.G. Wells was my wise uncle.
Edgar Allen Poe was the batwinged cousin we kept high in the back attic room.
Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers were my brothers and friends.
There you have my ancestry.
Adding, of course, the fact that in all probability Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, author of Frankenstein was my mother.
With a family like that, how else could I have turned out than as I did: a writer of fantasy and most curious tales of science fiction." 

No comments:

Post a Comment